Monday, November 12, 2012

Longest taper ever.

Numerous marathons throughout November and December opened their doors to those left race-less by NYC's cancellation.  I am one of 3000 lucky enough to be selected via lottery for the Philadelphia Marathon this coming Sunday. 

NYC's cancellation was not that big of a loss to me since my big race for the year was Virgil Crest in September, plus that was by far the more appropriate decision under the circumstances.  But I realized that after a taper period I will be too antsy to allow myself a genuine rest period unless I have a race to exhaust myself.  I may have knees twice my age nicknamed the Old Ladies.  I may be early to bed and early to rise in total opposition to all others my age, and I may scoff at going out if it means leaving home after 7pm.   But, for better or worse, I am still the annoyingly energized puppy that needs lengthy, daily constructed play time so that I don't chew up an entire closet's worth of shoes.  Or in Sadie's case, yoga blocks and shoe laces and foam rollers and the box spring and power cords and.... 

So be it.  Philly, here I come.  Who knows what result will come from the double-taper, but it will let me finally take my off season before the slow build up Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment