Thursday, April 26, 2012

Manic and anxious apply here.

I am now officially stalking next weekend's weather.  Yesterday weather.com labelled rain for 5/2 through 5/4.  Current predictions place 60% chance of rain on 5/3 followed by sun and temps in the low 70s for 5/4 and 5/5.  Pretty sure this will change every day until Bear Mtn gets here. 

I also received my first pre-race info email from TNF while at work yesterday.  The countdown has snuck up on me.  Trying not to be neeeervooooous...!

In the mean time, The Joint Commission (aka Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations) is at my hospital for its tri-yearly assessment.  You know you are due for a visit, and you may know what window of time may be expected (i.e. we knew it would be some time between March and May of this year), but they show up on whatever day they want to show.  Means as of 7:30 Monday morning e-ver-y-one is in a constant state of alert and panic.  You may normally take pride in your performance of x, y and z correctly, safely, sanitariliy (pretty sure I just invented a new word there).  Guess what -- the real way to do things is via x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6, x7... ad nauseum, and we haven't even moved on to the y factors yet.  We won't even get to z for another two days. 

Total.  Sheer.  Panic. 

Okay, so panic may be a bit of an overstatement.  But manic applies, as does anxiety and wishing to be elsewhere.  One of the aides happened to have this whole week booked for vacation.  He gets to miss all the craziness.  I envy his unknowingly timeliness. 

Meanwhile, I had to give a literature review presentation yesterday to the brain injury rehab staff during lunch.  I was more anxious about Joint Commission than about the dang presentation, although the craziness of the week meant my memory and concentration were a bit sparse.  Not that it mattered.  The presentation went like this:

me:  "Constraint-induced movement therapy has lots of research supporting its use for chronic stroke, but for acute stroke and acute rehab its efficacy and, if so, meaningful parameters are up for debate.  In this first systematic review by Nijland in 2011..." *whoomp* the office door flies open.

floor manager: "Sorry to interrupt, they will be on this floor in 5 minutes.  Mandy, what do you think of Mr. So-and-so A as a potential patient to trace?"

Mandy: "Well..."

[insert 2 minutes of logistics]

floor manager: "Okaygreatthanks.  Sorrytointerrupt."  *whoomp* door flies shut.

me:  "Soo... does anyone remember where I left off?"  *laughter*  "Oh right.  So this article looked at the only randomized control trials that..."  *beep*beep*beep* Mandy's Vocera (i.e. fancy walkie talkie) goes off.

floor manager: "What about Mr. So-and-so B?  Were there any problems with him?  What about blahblahblahblah for Mr. So-and-so A?"

Mandy: "Well, either would be fine, but..."

[insert 2 minutes of logistics]

office manager: "Okaythanksbye."

me:  "So, um..."

Granted I didn't have as much time to prepare as I'd have preferred, but the commotion from Joint Commission did not help my flow.  So it goes.  At least it is done.  Looking forward to next week when Joint Commission is finally gone and things return to normal.  Just in time to get nervous about the race....

No comments:

Post a Comment