Saturday, March 24, 2012

T-minus two months

In exactly two months from today I will have graduated.  That's 8.7 weeks.  Sixty-one days. 

I'll spare you the minutes and seconds....

Now instead of rolling my eyes when asked how school is going I get to yell "ALMOST DONE" and slap the table for emphasis.  I'm smelling the barn, people!

To celebrate, a much overdue kitteh video:


The first week of my last (last!) affiliation went well.  The whole outpatient TBI (traumatic brain injury) thing turned out to be acute inpatient rehab for stroke and TBI.  Fine by me.  I did not get an actual rehab experience, so this will really round out my abilities.  For those unfamiliar, acute rehab means patients are just medically stabilized, needing lots of therapy, and able to tolerate three hours of therapy every day.

What is also means is that my first day consisted of aphasias (inability to interpret and/or say words), emotional lability (spontaneous crying or anger that was inappropriate to the context), missed therapy due to code brown (i.e. poop), suctioning (cleaning mucous out of a tracheotomy), craniectomies (a portion of the skull removed due to excessive brain swelling so patients must wear a helmet at all times when out of bed), and pushers syndrome (a patient with stroke whose brain, for unknown reasons, very strongly pushes with the non-affected arm and leg, causing the patient to constantly lean toward their affected and often flaccid arm and leg).

And I couldn't be happier. 

Well, maybe if I were already graduated, but let's not dwell on those details.

No comments:

Post a Comment