Sunday, March 4, 2012

Reminiscing of the stick

A few days ago my mom emailed a comic strip about a boy and his stick.  It reminded her of Nathan's escapade with a stick while hiking in the Catskills a couple months ago.  The sentiment is very much on point.


I allowed myself a few minutes this morning to catch up with some running blogs before getting to work on my thesis again.  Turns out one of the guys Nathan likes to follow, Nick Clark, encountered a big stick marking the top of a Colorado mountain.  (Scroll down about half way for the stick-hugging pictures.) 

Too bad Nathan and his stick, which he still has tucked away at home, missed Valentine's Day.  Nathan spent that week in Vermont and New Hampshire with John winter camping and cross country skiing.  What's that sound?  Oh.  Right.  That's me muttering away since I was (and still am) stuck in the city working towards the thesis deadline while Nathan went frolicking through the woods.  Don't worry, Nathan, I saved you the effort and awkwardness of alerting your stick of your infidelities with other sticks in other states.  Your has-been stick and I are now bonded in our bitterness.  So there.

One week from tomorrow we present and "defend" our research.  Three weeks from tomorrow we submit our final completed draft.  The end is in sight.  Merus has loved the extra lap time and has accepted her job weighing me down with lumberjack purring and open paws.  I'm looking forward to turning that lap time into nap time following some escapade of my own that reeks of normalcy.  Soon....

1 comment:

  1. One, two, buckly my shoe
    Three, four, shut the door
    Five, six, PICK UP STICKS
    Seven, eight, LAY THEM STRAIGHT
    Nine, ten, a big fat ___?

    ReplyDelete