Friday, January 13, 2012

Olympic Trials tomorrow!

What would make me post twice in one day?  Tomorrow are the Olympic Marathon Trials in Houston, TX!!  I'm obviously not racing, and I can't actually watch the races take place, but I am nonetheless bouncing off the walls in excitement.

What I love about this year is that the women's race is getting LOTS of attention.  Analysts have said in previous Trials the top three -- i.e. those going on to the Olympics -- were basically guaranteed before the race started based on qualifying times so long as everyone had a decent day.  This further meant that any woman running a 2hr 30min or faster was basically guaranteed a spot so long as they continued to train.  The Trials then became a race rather than a time trial; the group sets a comfortable pace and you duke it out in the end to set the spots.  Then whoever gets to go on to the Olympics didn't waste a boatload of energy trying to get there for a certain time.

This year at eight women -- eight! -- have posted at or better than 2:30.   So this year its a true race, and they all know it.  I'm pulling with all my heart for my Lady Ds: Desiree Davila (interview) and Deena Kastor (interview).  (Cue bouncing.)

Also of interest are top qualifiers Shalane Flanagan (interview), Amy Hastings, and Kara Goucher (interview).  Then there's one of my local favorites, Kelly Chin, and the super awesome ultra runner Meghan Arbogast (she's over 50 years old -- hot stuff!).  Another ultra runner, Kami Semick, qualified but is not running.  I was also really hoping to cheer for Buzunesh Deba -- she placed a close second at the 2011 NYC Marathon and is also a home town hero hailing from the Bronx, but turns out she is Ethiopian.  I hope her 2nd place finish earns her a spot on the undoubtedly competitive Ethiopian team for the London games.

On the men's side I'm following the awesome pro roadster Meb Keflezighi and the ultra runner Michael Wardian, who if you recall my race rundown from the TNF KC 50k is the pro who blasted through the course in just over 3 hours.

According to the New York Road Runners website, the Trials will be televised tomorrow afternoon from 3-5pm Eastern/2-4pm Central time on NBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment