Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2011 Running stats

I decided to make a more formal running log for this year using Excel, so that I can track weekly mileage and accumulated shoe mileage on a daily basis to make it much less taxing to evaluate later.  How do I know it would be taxing to wait to analyze?  I first went through my calendar where everything was recorded very simply for each day (time, distance, workout type and location) but no cumulative values were created until now.  None of the numbers are surprising to me so it likely will not influence the coming year by much, but it will be interesting to compare global stats of 2011 to 2012 at this point next year.  Here's what I have found...

Total yearly distance running:  1583.2 mi

Walking distance for June 13 to Dec.:  535.5 mi

Latest pair of road shoes, worn Oct. 18 to today:  327.7 mi (totaling 43h 20m 20s)

Latest pair of walking shoes, worn Aug. 1 to today:  412.3 mi

And now for fancy mileage graphs.  (Excel ain't got nothin' on me.  Hazzah!)  The dark lines indicate values for running, while the lighter lines indicate those for walking.  You'll notice that the aforementioned walking distance only covered the latter half of the year -- I did not keep track until the middle of June, unfortunately.



I laughed when I realized that my Jan, Feb, and Sept monthly running mileages ranged from 105 to 123, which is the same number of miles elite professionals will run per week.  They also don't keep track of walking, because all their training occurs at a running pace.  

But!  When considering a) the absence of knee injury beyond normal upkeep and b) what I consider to be successful races, I have to say that training "like an old person" has treated me quite well.  I use cutsie quotes because there are runners in their 60s who regularly knock out twice my weekly mileage while running a full minute per mile faster than me.  They show up to each race, though I cannot pick them out of the crowd until looking at the race stats after the fact.  I hope to join their club later in life, cause they are friggin' inspiring to me.  The only trouble will be keeping up....

No comments:

Post a Comment