Thursday, June 28, 2012

29

Twenty eight was a year of not so subtle feigned patience.  Waiting all coiled up in the blocks, waiting some more, waiting so long that my muscles shake and cramp and I have to sing to myself to keep my mind on track.  Waiting so that I may shed the years of the financial rat race and the life-on-the-back-burner forfeit of choice that was working in the service industry and grad school.  Seven years is a long time to live in limbo.

So now, at 29, there is momentum and a plan and the opportunity to act.  You have no idea how much I look forward to this. 

I tend to keep my birthday celebrations small.  Honestly, the idea of gathering a mass of people to celebrate me is a bit weird.  I realize its not that big of a deal, but I don't like to make a big deal of myself.  That's another reason why having a job lined up is so exciting -- I'm horrible at talking up myself, making myself look good in an interview.  "What are your strengths?"  What I want to say: "I don't know.  Ask my last clinical instructor."  What I end up saying: "Ummm... communication?"  Okay, so that may be exaggerating a bit (hence the failed-comedy-sketch drum and symbol with my delivery).  Offer a congratulations, wish me happy birthday, whatever -- it's just that I'm not going to put up a sign asking (or, like some I know, mandating) for others to celebrate me unless its a super big life altering deal. 

So yesterday started with a 10 mile run.  Nothing special, just the usual mid-week run to, around, and back from Central Park but with perfect summer weather. 

Nathan and I were gonna see Marvel's The Avengers at either 11:20 or 2:45 at the Magic Johnson theaters in Harlem.  Nathan realized the 11:20 show was $6 per ticket, whereas 2:45 was $9.50.  (This is also compared to the $12.50 for non-matinee movies in larger theaters downtown).  So 11:20 is was.  It was AWESOME.  Nathan is usually not into these kinds of movies, and even he enjoyed himself.

We grabbed lunch from a nearby deli and ate it sitting outside Grant's Tomb.  We had plenty of time before our dinner plans, so I figured after eating we could actually go inside the tomb -- emphasized because for all the at times daily commute passing by the tomb I have never actually seen the true memorial.  We took our time eating and talking.  Eventually we went up to the door, only to find that it is open in 1 hour blocks interspersed with 1 hour closures.  It was open 2-3pm, closed 3-4pm, and open 4-5pm.  We walked up at exactly 3pm on the dot.  Guess that one wasn't in the cards after all...

Instead we took the subway down to Union Square.  Tried on a shoe I'd been considering at one store (New Balance still doesn't and likely never will fit my alien toenail babies and Flinstone feet *sigh*).  Bought Merus a new food bowl in hopes to further disassociate the sight of her food with pain (old bowl: solid yellow; new bowl: white with blue and green dots).  Swung through the green market and grabbed Nathan a scone so he did not perish before dinner.  Looked in another shoe store for a replacement of my daily sneaks, but they don't carry the model anymore.  Futzed around in Barnes and Noble to start a summer reading list for once the licensure exam is over. 

In the evening we met up with my friend and former classmate Laura and her boyfriend Davis for dinner at Kitchenette.  Yum.  Was a good time.  Because of my recent Reese's obsession, dessert was Breyer's Blast ice cream with Reese's that we had to acquire on the walk home.  Struck out at two places.  Found an open drug store where we could at least get Reese's that we could mix with vanilla ice cream from the deli close to home.  Saw a random grocery store we'd never been into, found it to be six times the size we had assumed, and they had Breyer's with any and all cookie concoctions possible.  Score!

I asked which bowl Nathan preferred for his ice cream.  He thought using a bowl was silly, so let's just eat out of the carton.  I grabbed two spoons and we put on another episode of Arrested Development on Netflix.  By the end of the show I had eaten 2/3 the carton, Nathan ate 1/3.  This was not a pint, people.  This was 1.5 quarts. 


I blame Nathan.  Going bowl-less was his bright idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment