Sunday, May 20, 2012

Step two: done!

Last weekend was spent working on my CPI (the equivalent of a final for an affiliation) and the case study presentation I was to give on Wednesday.  All week long and particularly on Friday I mentally giving my patients the eye, as though that might dissuade them from giving me a hard time such as with adverse reactions or from declining therapy. 

My last patient on Friday - last patient of my student career (!!) - did have an adverse BP increase to the tilt table while also reporting a headache (first seen in the week and a half he'd been in rehab).  While I do think it was indicative of something greater (diastolic BP jumped from 80 to 101), his nurse passed it off as though the BP increase reflected the pain associated with the headache.  We took him back to his room anyways, and the nurse was present to give him pain meds to see if that helped.  She's not my favorite nurse by any means.  It's kinda sad that I'm no longer privy to patient info to know how he and others turn out.  I can only hope for the best.  Kind of a fizzled end to my last work day as a student, but what can you do.

Step one:  last academic semester - finished December 2011.  Check!
Step two:  last affiliation - finished May 18, 2012.  CHECK!
Step three:  get diploma in hand - T-minus 4.5 days and counting. 

Now I get to think about non-school stuff.  Or rather, I get a break before studying for the licensure boards on July 2. 

Yesterday I tweaked my race schedule and had the luxury of bemoaning New York Road Runners for downgrading the Bronx Half Marathon to a 10k and simultaneously moving it from August to September.  That was my favorite half marathon.  Poopers.  (I actually used more colorful language though decided to spare you.)  Found two other races that sound much more exciting.  I signed up for one of them, will have to wait and see if I get accepted into the other (it is a mailed paper application on first come, first serve basis for a limit of 200 total).  Also found this picture from September 2010 - looking forward to more adventures that have a high likelihood of ending up like this:

I fell three times during this run.  This was when I first realized that I am on fall precautions.

I also got to fun-read myself to sleep last night with a kitten on my stomach.  I was out cold by 8pm.  Nathan wasn't even off work yet, woke me with a call at 8:45 to say he'd be leaving soon.  Didn't wake until 5am, got to enjoy the entire morning to myself.  That, my friends, is my idea of kicking off the celebration that is graduation. 

Looking forward to family arriving this week!  Mom, Dad and big bro on Wednesday, little bro and his wife on Friday.  Until then will be cleaning and reorganizing with grand purpose.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing what a relief it is to finish up something so monumental, and how at the same time it s almost anticlimatic. You'll worry about that test but you'd probably ace it without even studying. Looking ahead to new challenges both professionally and on the run, you've got your head on straight. Oh, the places you will go, the things you will see...

    ReplyDelete