Monday, July 4, 2011

Slosh-slosh-cramp-drip-melt-ugh-die.

And let's not forget the sputter-slog-slog-slog-sputter-spit-chug-chug-kerplop.  Today's fun run was brought to you by the letter B.  For bonk.

I know better than to push myself too hard in the heat, even when feeling decently acclimated, so I took it easy today during the first lap of the July 4th Marathon fun run held in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx.  The name is a little deceiving, as you can choose the length of your race and not many run an actual marathon.  The course is set up so that one lap is just over a 10k, two laps makes (close enough to) a half marathon (13.1), three laps makes 19.6 miles, and four laps makes (close enough to) a full marathon.  My goal was 3 laps, which is mileage consistent with the last month's long runs in the Palisades and on the Long Path.

Because this is a fun run, if you want to start early then you can.  Most people run one to two laps, so I didn't want to be one of few people slugging it out in the heat of the afternoon just because I wanted to go longer.  So instead of the official 9am start, I headed out at about 8:10.  It was great.  I had my comfortable pace, had my water intake regulated, and the whole route was nice and quiet and serene.  It rained yesterday and a little overnight, so there was still some clouds and fog keeping things cool, or at least relatively so.  I remembered the course, and all muddy patches were as I remembered.  The course was well marked and it seemed like things were on there way for a possible full marathon.

My slightly easy pace for the sake of going long ended up timing the completion of my first lap to coincide with the masses lining up for the official start.  I also needed a water refill, but didn't want to fight through the 300 or so people to get to it.  Figured I'd find one of the fountains later on.  I took the long way around the mini-bleachers and popped back out on the loop on the other side.  You don't worry about adding 10 seconds on to your time when you know you'll be out there for 3-4 hours.  I got about a mile or so in and sought water from the entrance of the golf range.  The actual fountain was more a collector of tree spores, and a staff member directed me just around the side of the building.  A groundsman helped me fill my bottle with a hose.  He was very nice, but I don't think he realized I was running a race and the clock was ticking.  "Come back any time, ma'am."  Twenty eight and I'm a ma'am?  Eesh.  Thought I do suppose I go to bed at 9:30 or 10 and get up at 5.  Whatever.

I needed to get back, because the main race had started and the 10k-ers had caught up to me.  You can tell the 10k runners because they never carry water with them and they have their eyes set dead ahead with a slightly manic look.  Why was I rushing though?  I had nearly two if not nearly three laps yet to go.  I made myself calm down, find my routine again, run my own race.  Everyone else was just beginning to get dots of perspiration on the back of their shirts, I was already dripping off the bottom hem and off of my ponytail.  Managed to keep my cool when those unfamiliar with single track would stop short or would pull up to half their pace on the downhills without letting others go by.  But, this being my second Holiday Marathon fun run, I was starting to get a feel for the nuances of the course.  The long lengths of flat ground became very apparent during that second lap.  When on hills, they were apparent and decently angled.  But the flats were a much greater component of this race, of which my guess is 2/3 of the course.  As I mentioned previously regarding the Brooklyn 1/2 Marathon, flat and I do not get along well.  Then came another short downhill with some rocks, causing the pack of manic-faced men in front of me to dodge back and forth (more for sake of keeping their shoes clean than to find a good through line, mind you).  One of them nudged me into an oddly shaped cutout in the hill.  While I was sure nothing was sprained, strained, twisted or bruised, I realized that the other runners were going rob me of the gentle mentality needed for long runs.  Meaning that I foresaw the wheels coming off for my own race.  Cue big sigh.

I got a ways further and managed to stay at my pace while letting the 10k grunters move on ahead.  Probably 2 or 3 miles left of the second lap at this point.  Realized I was getting thirsty between my drink-every-five-minutes rule, which is also not a good sign.  I haven't had any Gu Brew since Bear Mountain, the powder that makes an electrolyte drink that is insanely good for such conditions, and have instead been using my backup of Nuun tablets because of accessibility.  I kept the Nuun water on the thick side, but I realized that I was still sweating out too much.  In fact, I was sweating enough that my clothes were saturated and the sweat was running down my legs and collecting in my socks and shoes.  Not a good sign.  I downed another energy gel for some quick calories, and tried to relax.

The beginning and end of the loop is out in the open on the far side of a slew of soccer fields from the woods.  When in the woods the heat was present but not oppressive.  Once out in the open it was time for fried eggs on the sidewalk.  Crappers.  I finished lap two and got more water, wrung out my tank top and hung it off the back of my pants (there's no bag check available for a fun run), and headed off onto lap three.  The first mile felt like I was beating myself up, even though I was going slower than when in the woods.  By this lap the other racers were fewer in number and with much more pleasant temperament -- no more 10k-ers elbow jousting.  The world started to slow down.  Legs got heavy.  The Nuun water felt like it was running straight through me.  Somewhere amid yet another flat section I kept expecting to see Vanna White walk across the trail holding up the letter of the day.  I was bonking.  Meaning, the day was a bust.  If my electrolyte management is off, or (as I am realizing) if I don't have enough carbohydrates be it simple sugar goo or bread or whatever along with it, then certain portions of my abdominal muscles will cramp.  So went that too.

Heat: 1,352.  Me: 2.

Stats: 3 laps, 19.6 miles, 2:57:00, 83 degrees and rising, 54% humidity, 100% walking human puddle.  
Two former coworkers of mine were also planning on running, one in the 10k and the other for the 1/2 marathon.  I stayed for about 20 minutes after I was done to "cool off" (Hah!  Good luck with that one....), but I didn't see either of them.  I couldn't tolerate being there any longer, so I made the slow trod back to the subway, thankful for the air conditioning in the train cars to help my joints from blowing up during the 20 minute ride to 125th Street.  Luckily ridership was still low since most New Yorkers don't start their mornings until 10 or 11 a.m. and don't leave the house until 12 or 1 p.m.  I was still dripping, though it was all collecting down my backside and into a small puddle on my subway seat.  At that point I didn't trust my legs (or my head) to stand for the whole ride and survive the rocking.  I don't know if anyone noticed it when I got off at my stop, but take my word for it that a little sweat left on the seat is nothing compared to the oddities you'll see gracing the subways in NYC.  [WARNING!  The link may be too gross for some of you.  This man... well, let's say he is a gustatory learner and wanted to analyze his shoe....]   

Exhausted?  So am I!  It is 9:30 and rightly bed time for this "ma'am."  I will leave on a funny note, yielding to the endless entertainment of my kittehs.  If you have not yet seen it, Sadie was chasing flies the other day.  I'd embed the video here, but the edges get cut off and you may miss a paw or eyebrow flutter.  No warning needed for this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment