Sunday, July 17, 2011

Skin, and mocking Mango

Currently icing my legs on the couch watching the Women's World Cup final between US and Japan.  Let's hope the second half converts during the second half.

The elevator operator at work has nicknamed me The Gatorade Girl.  As part of my project hydration I will half it with water and attempt to consume 2 liters of the mix by lunch.  It was a somewhat stressful week.  Monday I presented an in-service on pathological tone for the purpose of educating the PT aides but with everyone from the therapy team in the audience.  Wednesday the professor who coordinates our affiliations (and is totally craaaazyyyy...) came for a site visit and unexpectedly threw in a hasty and confusing conversation regarding my last two affiliations, followed by a schedule of 14 patients while under supervision of the other PT since my instructor had a long and important appointment elsewhere.  Thursday and Friday were less intense, but by then I had a hard time getting enough sleep to make up the difference.  Finally got a little rest on Saturday. 

Today I felt good and decided to go long.  Over the GWB to the Long Path again, 3:11:23, just under 21 miles.  I meant to take my camera and take some shots to show-and-tell.  Got so caught up in food and water that I forgot.  Crappers.  Oh well, next time.  I used the hydration pack that was my prize from Bear Mountain, and it is a surprisingly nice piece.  It has a rudimentary waist strap that I don't need to use so there's nothing pressing on my stomach or cutting off my breathing, as happens with other hydration packs.  That's why I usually opt to carry a bottle for any distance, but there's only one option for refilling along the way (a gas station 5.5-6 miles from home) and I anticipated needing a lot of fluid.  Went through 1.5 liters of Gu Brew and 1 liter of a lemonade/water mix from the gas station.  Had to walk for two 5 minute periods, once because my abdominal muscles almost held onto a cramp and another after filling up at the gas station since I had just stopped sweating and knew I needed lots of intake without jarring my stomach.  Both walking stints were successful.  By 10 minutes into my cool-down half hour walk I was out of fluid again, but I'd ingested enough that it wasn't a worry.

It's never until the post-run shower that you discover what new areas of chafing occurred.  All the areas I slathered with Aquafore (armpits, inner thigh crease, where my sports bra meets my lower sternum) came out unscathed.  This time my sports bra decided to eat at my back, beneath one side of the T-strap and beneath the chest strap longitudinally.  May have been due to the hydration pack, though with that amount of time on the trail one can never really know.  But once the stream of water hits the rough patch, sonofabitch!  I took a picture so I could see the whole thing better, and while there's nothing inappropriately shot that would contraindicate my posting it here it just simply too gross from all the secondary pimples and such.  I think the camera viewer adds more color to highlight the red spots than is actually there, but ew.  Made me cringe.  School stress has shifted breakout locations depending on the time frame.  First the face and back of the neck.  Then last fall on the underside of my chin and across my deltoids (atop my shoulders and the start of my arms).  This summer it has been my back, particularly atop each of each shoulder blade and at the bra line.  Accentuated by the running and heat, I suppose.  Another bit of loveliness to add to the list.

Instead I will display Sadie's recent attempts to mock my schoolmate Katarina's cat Mango.  She got Mango from a shelter last summer after his front left leg was amputated secondary to getting hit by a car.  He's a lovely beast of a cat.  And gangsta.

Mango.  Low rider.  Gangsta.  'Sup, human.  [Photo by Katarina.]

Sadie is probably half the size of Mango.  She often emphasizes her point through the use of gravitational enhancement.  I snicker every time.

Sadie, au Mango 1.
Sadie, au Mango 2, this time adding her dainty flair.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment