Thursday, March 5, 2015

Skunked

IT WORKS!  IT REALLY REALLY WORKS!!  

Thank. Good. Ness.


Chemistry is FRIGGIN AWESOME. 

Luna got skunked yesterday.  Really bad.  And really gross.

We didn't realize it was on her because a square mile of the ranch, including the homestead, was covered with a tear wrenching, nose hair splitting, Pigpen emanating, noxious burning rubber or diesel fuel gone wrong stench so thick it was nearly a fog.  As Luna paced the house and stirred the air in lieu of her normal evening nap I finally realized it was on her, not from a camp out of skunks under the house. 

We didn't figure it out until past nine o'clock when the two possible stores selling peroxide within twenty miles were already closed.  Neighbors had only isopropyl alcohol.  So Luna spend the sub-zero night in our neighbors' garage, which is unattached from their house and already smelled like skunk, so they readily offered it up like saints. 

This morning at work I got a text from a rancher neighbor: "Wow, Luna smells intense!"  During lunch a coworker entered my office: "What's going on here, teriyaki or something?"  At least none of my patients noticed it on me.  (Or does that mean I'm always stinky and I didn't know it already....)

Luna did grandly once I was home for bath time. One quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, and 1-2 teaspoons of liquid soap (thank you sosososo much, interwebs.)  I used her leash for the first time (yes, first time since we've ever known her, let alone since taking her in), and had a 12 quart bucket of tolerably hot water ready to follow the 5-10 minutes of shivering peroxide bath in the tail end of a sunset at 20 degrees.  She didn't like it, but she was magnificent.  


Within twelve minutes she was back in the house and stink free.  I may have missed a bit on her tail, but you have to get up close and personal to smell it.  

Chemistry is.  It just is.

And thank goodness for that. 



No comments:

Post a Comment