Sunday, January 4, 2015

2014 in Review

2014 was spent acclimating to our new life at 8000' with a car commute.  There were mistakes to learn from, but we finished the year on a stronger note than we started.  

-  All races were on trail.  All included lots of climbing.

-  Races took me to Salida, Creede and the San Jauns (CO); Los Alamos (NM); Salt Lake City, Logan and Bear Lake (UT with a tad in ID). 

-  I have run on every hill or mountain visible from my house:  the "biscuit" and Twin Mtns, Old Woman Creek/Blue Ridge/Natural Arch, Agua Ramon, Del Norte Peak, Bennet Peak, Lookout Mtn (aka "D" Mtn), and our neighbors' rolling foothills.

-  Summited two 14,000' peaks:  Mt Bierstadt and Mt Evans

-  Gained invaluable experience from completely losing my head during Bear 100.  

-  Total running miles: 2026.  Total running elevation gain: 221,800' (~68 miles).  Total running time: 330 hours.

-  After spending all time in the backcountry and losing my speed from focusing otherwise, I finally feel like my head has come around since Boston 2013.

-  Had a peak into our nonagenarian years while tending to Nathan during his puke fest and inability to even bathe himself after a race gone bad

-  Survived my hand getting smashed between two 20+ lbs logs (one log traveling at 9.81 m/s^2) with only an enlarged interphalangeal joint but no greater injury.  Nathan survived cutting his own leg with a chainsaw with only a gnarly scar but, somehow, no greater injury.

-  The efforts delivering such injuries also led to a stockpile of twice as much wood as last year.  

-  Progressed from a single income household for much longer than anticipated to Nathan having a job within an actual profession (not just a job).  For the first time in our lives, we both have retirement funds.  

-  A dogdog joined our household.

-  Branched my dual inpatient/outpatient caseloads into policy development so as to help bring the therapy department into the modern world.  

-  Took work home with me in a way I never expected - facilitating a respectful death for my own Grandmother.

-  Became clinical instructor for a PT student for the first time.  Will have my second student come May.  

-  Bought TWO cars.  And a vacuum.  And a mountain bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment