Thursday, August 4, 2011

Buzzzzz

I looked up from writing patient notes at the computer and saw a young man using one loftstrand crutch slowly make his way into and through the gym.  He looked familiar.  Couldn't place it.  My brain buzzed in attempt to figure it out.  Didn't remember that facial hair pattern, but the face looked familiar.  Amid the other staff members' "It's been a while!" and "Looking good!" comments I heard someone say his name.  Buzzzzz....  Wait.  Was he.... Maaaaaaaybe...?

I asked the OT if the young man was of a description I remembered from my days as a volunteer.  She said the time of injury was correct, though didn't know where he went to rehab.  I saw him in the waiting room while I was headed down the hall.  I walked straight towards him, but he beat me to it. 

"You probably don't remember me."

"Yes I do.  Mount Sinai rehab 2008.  You were just barely reaching one lap around the PT gym with a forearm walker and a lot of assistance, plus the silly plastic foot advancement gizmo.  I'm surprised you remember me, since I was just a volunteer."

"I never forget a face."

It's true.  Three years ago his spinal cord injury with concomitant traumatic brain injury was my first look into pathological reflexes.  Lay him on his back and his legs would rocket into full extension, including plantarflexion/inversion at the ankles.  Symmetrical Tonic Neck Reflex.  Present only within a small window during infancy, though reawakened due to injury to the central nervous system.  The therapist wanted to stretch his calf muscles, but his reflex was too strong. 

The kid was a hoot to work with.  I spent most of my volunteer hours on the stroke/pure brain injury floors since they needed more help than the SCI floor, but there were a few patients who had a big impact on me.  And this is despite the fact that volunteers help with things like towel folding, organizing, wheelchair follows -- things that do not involve you touching the patient.  Having encountered so many other patients at this point I'd nearly forgotten about these patients. 

I've recalled so many visual learning moments from my volunteer days.  Even still, new items will be discussed at school and I'll immediately have a picture in my mind of former patients at Mount Sinai Hospital.  My volunteer days are what piqued my interest in neurological PT, and it still is where I want to work and possibly specialize. 

Ironic, then, to have one such patient waltz through the door on my next to last day.  He looks REALLY good.  And that is wonderfully inspiring.  Three years ago he could barely roll from his back to his stomach.  Today he walks with a loftstrand, slowly though with great control.  I may be exhausted and ready for my first break since January, but I've never felt so sure about a life decision/direction before.  I am sad to say goodbye to so many patients, and so such a wonderful staff.  Seeing this young fella was merely the icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment