Sunday, June 5, 2011

First weekend without studying

She picked a killer pair, but I wouldn't have supposed that dirt from Bear Mtn. would taste so nice.

Merus and Sadie are settling in (in their own ways...), and last night I was able to sleep nearly the whole way through.  I got them a cardboard scratcher, since the lobular multi-level furniture things are a bit more than I can stand and yet the only other choices available in most NYC stores.  They make a fantastic sound when they go sliding across a wooden floor in the middle of the night.  Not sure which of them turned it into a sleigh.

Replaced some shoes just before this affiliation started.  Figured I should show up with a fresh clean pair since sneakers *technically* are not considered "professional dress."  I refuse to play the NYC fashion game, I DESPISE shopping, and I highly doubt such "professional dress" appropriate shoes would ever accommodate the alien toenail babies coexisting within my wide runner's feet that are shaped more like ducks than like classic homosapien females.  These particular sneakers, Brooks' mostly minimalist Green Silence, are men's/unisex (I wear men's 9) with a very rounded toe box.  They also remind me of my track spikes from high school. 

Anyways, I always get some satisfaction in looking at the wear patterns of the old pain as compared to the fresh new pair.  The old pair has been going strong since August.  I left the new pair at work so that they won't get soiled by NYC streets, and on days that I walk to work I'll still walk in the old pair and change once I arrive.  (For those who don't know, NYC can turn a pair of shoes into a gray version of themselves in about a month.  Check anyone who loves to walk in flip flops -- their feet are always equally as soiled.)





First few days of the rotation went well.  Patient diagnoses included peroneal/fibularis tendonitis, osteoarthritis, low back pain, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury, stroke, spina bifida, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehig's disease).  My CI is very laid back and allows a decent amount of autonomy while at the same time indulging all my questions and curiosities.  There'll be a lot to learn this summer.

Today I returned to the Long Path in New Jersey for my long run, which turned out to be 17.3 miles.  The weather finally cooled off to expected levels, which made for a much more pleasant run than any of the last two weeks.  All the foliage on the Long Path was also thriving.  Many stretches seemed more like bushwhacking, or occasionally like I was running through the backwoods of Iowa City during college.  Best part was feeling at ease -- no exams to study for, no papers to write, no school politics, no stress!  A girl could get used to this regular schedule and free weekend stuff....

No comments:

Post a Comment